Why React-Native: Part Nine

What to Consider When Choosing React Native

This series wouldn’t be complete without taking a look at where React Native may not be the right choice. So, when shouldn’t you use React Native?  Almost never. I actually consider it irresponsible of a development team to start with anything else at this point.  I realize that sounds like a crazy fanatic statement, so let’s add a little context to understand why it’s not that crazy or fanatical.

One code base is easier to debug.  If you’re writing an app for iOS and Android and you’ve used native specific projects in the past, you know that you’re not just writing, testing, and releasing one app with one team, you’re doubling everything. And, if all of the development work is doubled, so is the management, process and cost.  React Native doesn’t 100% “just work” on both platforms, but the differences you’ll run into are far easier to find and fix than running two projects.

Huge developer community.  Even though React Native is only a couple years old at this point, the community is growing at an exponential rate.  That said, even if it weren’t, React is going on three years and JavaScript over twenty.  Add to that that React Native uses the ES6 version of JavaScript (possibly the biggest change to JavaScript since node.js) and you have a solid foundation with great, free, built in support from and active and energetic open source community.

It’s fast enough.  Fast enough isn’t normally fast enough for me, but in this case, for most cases, it is with React Native.  The mobile devices of today’s JavaScript engines are so optimized it is virtually impossible to tell a difference when running JavaScript versus native code. There are of course ways to stall out the bridge and performance can still be an issue, but that can happen on native code as well.  At least with React Native, you only have to solve the problem once when it comes up.

Sliding scale.  With no intention of burying the lead, this particular point is what won me over.  Just because you are using React Native doesn’t mean you have to have your apps written in only React Native.  It’s entirely possible to mix between JavaSript and native code in any amount you wish.  If it makes sense to write 80% of your app in native code maintaining both code bases, you may still want to code the other 20% using React Native.  Maybe you have a processer intense app that you need all the native performance you can get, but you’re still likely to have login and registration forms, settings screens, contact and support interfaces, etc. – all of which are easy to write and support using React Native while the native side handles the heaviest processing load.  Typically, you should try to start with only React Native and fall back to native when its necessary.

So, when wouldn’t you want to use React Native?  Maybe you’re writing an iOS only app.  Maybe you’re so heavily invested in your native code base that changing it would put your product at risk.  Or, maybe your client’s CTO just really hates Facebook and gives you no choice.  But, whatever the reason you choose to not use React Native, it’s still worth knowing what it can do for you on your next project.

Before I sign off, I want to share a few more tidbits.

  • Microsoft is currently working on React Native for Windows, so your React Native apps can run there as well.
  • React Native Web is a project that takes your React Native app and allows you to run it in a browser with the same code bases using webpack.
  • There is a project for React Native on Apple TV as well as Samsung’s TV OS Tizen.
  • The biggest thing you need to support React Native is a native JavaScript engine which exists on nearly any platform you can view a webpage on (and that’s nearly everything these days).

And one final note: there are competitors to React Native.  Google’s Flutter.io is promising with Google behind it and great documentation. However, it uses Dart as its base language, which does not have a great deal of a community behind it.  Vue is a framework that competes with React and there is a project to use NativeScript to build a Vue Native framework.  The concept behind both of these are the same as React Native.  This is a good sign that React Native is a strong enough technology where it’s changing how we think about developing native apps and encouraging others to think differently as well.

So, what are you writing your next app with?

More News

| 10th Dec 2018

Curriculums Aren’t Just for School Anymore

Selections from the CTO’s library and Isobar's core curriculum.

| 29th Nov 2018

Isobar: A Community of Free Electrons

Javier Frank explores a special type of overachiever developer.

| 20th Nov 2018

How React Native Was Was Used for the Get WIRED App

The latest in our React Native series takes a look at the Get WIRED app.