Isobar Create 32 NFC Hackathon: Build Something EPIC.
Near Field Communication isn’t “the future” if you can build something EPIC right now.Are you a developer, entrepreneur or startup […]
4th Nov 2011
Isobar Create 32 NFC Hackathon: Build Something EPIC.
And you might be remembered as somebody who made it happen.
Isobar Create 32 @ APPNATION III will be Silicon Valley’s first hackathon of its kind to explore the NFC chip inside next generation mobile devices like the Google Nexus S and Nokia N9 to find greater uses for this exciting new technology. Unlike other hackathons, developers can program their application on any NFC-enabled smartphone platform they choose. At the end of the event, hopeful innovators and entrepreneurs will have an opportunity to showcase their innovations in front of the APPNATION audience of leading investors, partners, buyers and more.
Near Field Communication (NFC) technology will let us make transactions, exchange digital content, and connect electronic devices like never before. Your phone will be your credit card, boarding pass, hotel room key, and coupons at the supermarket. You’ll only buy the 3 minutes you need on the parking meter. It’s an amazing future than can continue to emerge.
Register now, or see below for the sleep-deprived, caffeinated, hero-making details.
Who: This event is an open invitation to mobile software developers, entrepreneurs and start-ups to be the first to explore the possibilities of NFC like never before. Register for Isobar Create 32 today (it’s FREE!), and you’ll receive a complimentary Expo/Keynote pass for APPNATION III. (Note: All registered hackers must work on an application project during the 32-hour event.)
What: Teams (your own, or one we help hook you up with), will develop, simulate and test apps for the NFC chip. NFC experts from Nokia, Tagstand and more will be on hand to demo applications and demonstrate how to program for NFC (i.e., what can be done, what can’t be done, etc.)
When: Around the clock: Wednesday, November 30 at 8:00am – Thursday, December 1, 2011, 4:00pm.
Where: At APPNATION III, San Francisco Design Center, 635 8th Street, San Francisco
Why: Hopeful innovators and entrepreneurs will have an opportunity to showcase their innovations in front of the massive APPNATION audience of leading investors, partners, buyers and more. Winner will receive various prizes and the opportunity to launch their app and/or business on one of technology’s biggest stages.
What Can I Win?
You mean other than a place in the history books? Exposure to some of the most notable innovators, venture capitalists and influencers in the tech community? Fine. Everybody gets a cool t-shirt. We’ll have door prizes (random, sure, but cool stuff). And we’ll be giving out various prizes, cash, a trophy, and some good PR to the top three winning teams. But if you’re just in it for the admiration, that’s okay too. Who isn’t?
What Types of Applications Can I Develop?
Apps should be developed using NFC technology across 8 categories:
- NFC for a Cause
- NFC and Non-NFC Enabled Devices
- NFC in the NFL (& other sports)
- NFC and the Environment
- NFC for Business
- NFC for Play
- NFC for Media
- NFC for Cars
How Can I Prepare?
We’re collecting documentation and technical resources for you as we speak. Check back here for updates soon. You should be prepared to bring your own laptop, power cables, and any other tools you need to create and develop with. Isobar and APPNATION will provide the facilities, power, connectivity, food, and refreshments, and experts will be on-hand to help you think through your idea, answer questions and offer advice.
Who Are the Judges?
When coding ends at 4:00pm on Thursday, 12/1, each team will have 5 minutes to present their work to an all-star cast of judges. More information on our judging panel will be coming soon, but you can count on some of the most notable innovators, venture capitalists and influencers in the tech community.
What Criteria will Determine the Winners?
Each team is expected to build a technical proof of concept during the 32 hours. Winning apps will be based on whether they fundamentally change the way businesses operate or the way consumers behave, or both. Using a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best, apps will be judged by the following criteria:
- Impact on a brand or a business (e.g., does it increase sales, improve customer retention, etc.)
- Impact on consumers (e.g., does it fundamentally change the way consumers behave)
- Commercial viability and market potential (e.g., does it have the ability to succeed and be profitable)
- The ‘like never before’ factor (e.g., novelty value and overall coolness of the idea)
Can you hook me up with collaborators if I show up alone?
You bet. Isobar Create 32 is for developers and designers, and we encourage you to team up and work in ad-hoc development teams. But don’t fret if you don’t have a team before you get here. If you have a good idea but you’re not sure you can build it on your own, or if you’re a coder who wants a designer to work with, we’ll do our best to match you up with a team when you arrive.
I can’t stay the whole 32 hours, can I still participate?
Of course! We realize that 32 hours is a long time, and that some people will want to catch the keynotes and expo at APPNATION III. We strongly encourage you to be present for the initial few hours during the startup demos, and for the final few hours for the presentations and judging. But if you can, plan to stay. We’ll be feeding you. And we’ll have a couple couches on hand so you can stretch out and get comfortable.
Who owns the code I write?
You do, unless you’re using something that belongs to someone else. We’d like to make a few screenshots of promising projects, and we’ll be video taping certain parts of the event for public relations and marketing communication purposes; we assume that’s okay.
What’s the Schedule?
Here’s a snapshot of what you can expect:
- If you’re looking for a team to develop something with, arrive by 7:30am so you have time to mingle and hook up or ask us to help you.
- We’ll get started at 8:00am sharp. Michael Nicholas, Chief Strategy Offer at Isobar, will kick things off with some opening remarks, including a brief look at Isobar, who we are, what we do, why we’re hosting this event, and what we hope to see from the teams.
- At 8:15am, we’ll welcome Damien Balsan, Director of NFC Business Development at Nokia and NFC guru to the stage. Damien will provide an overview of NFC technology and showcase some of the NFC apps working today all around the world.
- At 8:45am, Isobar’s Director of Mobile, Yuval Zukerman, will provide information about all the tools that will be at your disposal.
- Then, finally, at 9:00am, coding will begin.
- We’ll feed you and water you and Red Bull you throughout the 32 hours. We’ll also have a couple of couches if you need a nap.
- At 4:00pm on Thursday 12/1, everyone stops coding. Each team will have five minutes to present their work to the audience — and the judges. Then we’ll go our separate ways for an hour or so. We think you’ll go home and clean yourselves up!
- At 5:30 on Thursday 12/1, we’ll reveal the top 3 apps created during the hackathon and hand out prizes and respect to the winners.
What am I waiting for?
We really have no idea. Isobar Create 32 @ APPNATION III is your opportunity to meet the people and work with the tools that are revolutionizing our future. Did we mention registration is FREE? Sign up now.